Monday 27 January 2014

Small and wonderful things . . .

 photo SMALLANDWONDERFULTHINGS_zps0c49db7e.jpg

"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard 

A few of the small and wonderful things which bring untold joy into my life.   It's the small things in life which truly mean the most.  Simple abundance . . . it's the best.

 photo d42fe8cc4ccaef014ba251a1a2174b8b_zps7c3e47ee.jpg
(source:  Pinterest)

For the past three years I have been serving the Sisters in our Ward as a counselor in our Relief Society at church.   I have truly loved this opportunity I have had to serve them in this capacity and also the Sisters which I have had the opportunity to work with and serve with.  It's been a really special time in my life.  Yesterday we were all released from our callings as the Relief Society Presidency and new sisters were called in our places.   That is why I was asked to come to church early and meet with the Bishop.  It makes me sad to know I won't be doing this any longer, but I know that it is a good thing for other sisters to have an opportunity to serve the women of our church in this capacity and I am happy for them.   I can say with authority that this will be a most wonderful chance for them to grow and serve in special ways, and that they will truly love this time spent in serving together.

 photo e353ebb1b612b0c4e00c97f60591847f_zpsa56b5a44.jpg

I can truly say that I have loved these past three years.   We are given callings in our church through revelation given from above to our leaders.  Callings are the chance not only for us to be the Savior's hands on earth, but are also wonderful opportunities for growth.  I am so grateful for every one I have ever been given during my 14 1/2 years in the church.   Through them I have become a better person and a better woman, and I have learned a lot about just how much I can do, but most of all I have learned to love others in simple, selfless and precious ways.  My life has been enhanced and filled with the blessings and joy which only comes from giving service to and in helping others.  I do not know what I will next be asked to do, or in which way I will be called to serve, but I can tell you for sure that in whatever way it is, my life will be made better for it, even if it is only a simple thing I am asked to do.

Life is not truly worth living, until you learn to give it away.  I am not sure who said it but . . .

"Love in your heart wasn't put there to stay, Love isn't Love til you give it away."

So SO true.

 photo SaraandBaxterJan2014_zps2f13d096.jpg

Daughters of the heart and grandpuppies make me smile.  This is our Sara with Baxter.   This is one pup with mega personality and I just adore our Sara  She is the perfect girl for our Bruce.   Seeing your children happy makes mother's very happy too, and I am one very happy mama.  I love my babies so very much.

 photo 3a843f2d0eec853dbfa9b52bea0cd5db_zpsa2fb2ac2.jpg

A new book to read.  There is something really special about opening up a new book . . .  a certain smell and expectation.  It is like opening a gift or meeting a new friend, someone you just know you are going to have a good time with over the next few weeks . . . and who, if you are very lucky, will become a life long friend and one you will want to visit time and time again.  I have a few books that are life long friends.   I love that thought . . .

  photo 1e5b2f0f3acac4e7516bc877fc70bb5a_zps651d0c91.jpg

I have purchased my first Christmas Gift for 2014.  I found this little dress and cap on sale and could not resist it.  When I was a little girl I would have loved to have a dress like this.  I love the colour red and I love polka dots and I love hats and bows.   I hope the little girl I bought this for will love this too.

 photo 1551462_10153765657795444_604288765_n_zpsa654380f.jpg

My everyday shoes are becoming quite worn, but then I have been wearing them pretty much every day for the past 5 years and the leather is almost worn through.   Time to buy a new pair.  I hope I am able to find a new pair that are as good as these have been.  They were very expensive when I got them, but I reckon they were worth every penny.  I have gotten a LOT of wear out of them!   I have very short but wide feet, with bunions and fallen arches, so it's really difficult for me to find a comfortable pair of shoes.  When I find a pair, I hang on to them for dear life.  I am not a woman with a lot of pairs of shoes.  I have one pair of every day shoes, one pair of trainers and one pair of Sunday go to meeting shoes.   It is not that I do not like shoes.  I like shoes.  I just have never been lucky enough to have money to waste on more shoes than I need, but that's ok, I don't feel bad about that, I feel lucky that I have shoes at all.  There are a lot of people in this world that do not.

 photo 429ff44bbd00edd796506126994fea01_zps972d3a24.jpg

Faith . . . where would any of us be without it.

And with that I will leave you with a thought to carry with you through today . . .

✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
(¯`✻´¯)
  `*.¸.*✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻
✻ღϠ₡ღ✻

"Keep your eyes open to your mercies.  
The man who forgets to be thankful 
has fallen asleep in life."
~Robert Louis Stevenson   
 
✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻ ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻✻ღϠ₡ღ¸.✻


 photo SAM_2847_zpse4388e80.jpg 

A early Valentine treat in The English Kitchen today . . . Sweet Marie Slices.   But cut into hearts.  Cute.

I wish for you a wonderful day and week!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!