Thursday 14 August 2014

Five Things About Me . . .



 photo thekids.jpg

I can't believe it's Thursday already!  I had an absolutely brilliant day yesterday.  Thank you all so much for your Happy Birthday Wishes and cards!    They made turning 59 ever so much sweeter!    You all know what Thursday means, it's another five things about me day!  At 59 I don't think I'll ever run out of secrets to share!   Aren't you the lucky ones! haha

 photo 1014039_262381750582606_1083061012_n_zpsde773991.jpg

As the oldest of three children, I've always felt super responsible.  I am not sure how that happened.   There are times when I wish I could just throw responsability to the wind and go crazy, but I have a really difficult time to do that.  I always feel like I have to be the example or set the standard.   The few times I have dared to throw caution to the wind, I've failed miserably, so being responsable is a protection of sorts for me!   I embrace it like a blanket.

 photo 659c80bda9fdf13137d824130069559a_zps953205e6.jpg
(Holly Hobbie)

I play the clarinet, or at least I used to.   I have many happy memories of playing duets with my father.  He plays too.  I always wished I could play the flute or the piano.  You never see people standing around a clarinet player at parties singing songs . . . not that I want people to do that, but I love to sing too, and if I played the piano I could sing at the same time.  It is hard to sing and play the clarinet at the same time.  Well, you could try, but I don't think either one would turn out well!

 photo 902b6108b0aa015de4ea7cd42b89d9af_zpsab4a367f.jpg

I have always loved sewing and embroidering and doing handi-work.   My mother taught me to embroider when I was about 8 or 9 years old.   I have been in love with it ever since.  I  have done many kinds of embroidery through the years . . .  crewel, counted cross stitch, etc.   I don't actually have much of it myself as I have given a lot of it away through the years.   This past year however I have enjoyed embroidering pillow slips.  I've done some as redwork on white, and others as white on red!  And a few odd bits in between!  I've enjoyed sewing together a few odd little dollies these past few years for a special little madame,  and I see a few more in my future.  I really need to get those Christmas ornies done!  On my list of "to do's."

 photo PaintedLady1.jpg

I love old Victorian houses.   This is a photograph of one from my hometown in Nova Scotia.   I love all of the gingerbread trim, the cupolas . . .  the verandas . . .  the attic windows.  I would love to have one of these of my own.  I would turn it into a B&B, which has also always been a dream of mine, to have my own B&B.  Or a Tea room.   That's also always been a dream.   Not a big one, just a small one.  I did own my own coffee shop once upon a time.  It was hard work, but I did enjoy it.  I baked all my own muffins and cakes, etc.   I only served light lunches such as sandwiches and the like, but I did enjoy it.  I have a healthy respect for anyone who owns their own cafe.  It's a lot of hard work.  I am probably a bit too old and tired now, but once upon a time . . . .  I could have totally jumped at the chance!

 photo 1950s_zps54dd2ed2.jpg

I totally love the 1950's.  The clothing.   The style of decor.   The hairstyles.  The telly shows.  The music.   If I was a thin woman, I would be the street eccentric because I would dress totally like they did in the 1950's.  Crazy I know.  It's probably a good thing I am not thin, right?   When I get to heaven and I am thin again, I'm going to look like Donna Reid.  Totally.

And that's my five quirky bits about me for today!

A thought to carry with you through today . . .

 ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Please don't waste.*´¯`.¸¸.☆
⋰ ⋮ ⋱ your time... on what "could have" been!.*´¯`.¸¸.☆
✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿
Make today the best that you can!  



 photo SAM_6500_zpsb24f14db.jpg 

Cooking in the English Kitchen today  . . .  Maries Best Corn Chowder.  The feasting continues with my favourites for my Birthday week! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░L░O░V░E⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════   

Have a wonderful Thursday!


8 comments:

  1. Have a happy day Marie. Snap! I learned to play the clarinet at school but had to give up because no one would buy me one. I tried to play a few years ago and there was definitely not enough puff.

    I had a little blessing today. I saw dad on my own for a brief while as mum was having some tests done. I called out to him and he turned around and said, "Hello Suzan". It is so long since he has spoken my name.

    Enjoy the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most famous tea shops in Mtl..is here where I live ..a sleepy little town 40 mins away..well 45- 60..
    People say 40..but I have never seen it.

    She was probably 60 when she opened it i think..so cute Marie..I will send you the link..
    I could so seeing you doing that.

    I love victorian etc..where we differ I was the baby in the family..
    Love to stitch too as you know.
    So glad you had a great birthday!


    ReplyDelete
  3. Other than the cooking part, which I'm not too good at, I could totally take your blog and put my name on it. Every time you post about yourself, I'm reading about me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always interesting and fun facts about you. Wow, you owned a coffee shop! Impressive! Hey, I played Clarinet for one whole day at school! I didn't like my impatient music teacher so I turned in the clarinet and quit. I did take private guitar lessons from a different man though.:-)
    I also loved little handi-work and want(ed) to live in a Victorian house. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy getting to know you better each week. I too love Victorian houses. When we were on vacation in Montana, we saw the most beautiful old house in this small town in a scenic valley, with a bunch of abandoned buildings around it. When we got home we googled it, and apparently it was once the Montana Children's' Asylum (an orphanage)". If I had millions, I'd buy it, restore/remodel and make a getaway for people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy, what bad writing this morning on my part. I repeated phrases so many times. I can only excuse myself by saying I was extremely tired and Ariana had an early start at work this morning, having to be there by 7 am. I am used to having time to myself then with no interruptions and I had Todd distracting me today! I hope you'll all forgive me my bad writing!

    Suzan, we got a clarinet a few years ago and I had no puff left either! A young man in our Church Ward is now enjoying it! I am so happy that your father recognized you! What a treat!

    I guess we can't be totally alike Monique! That would be spooky. Have gotten your e-mail and will be checking out the links shortly! Thanks so much!

    Marsha, I am not surprised. Like is attracted to like! Or at least it seems that way!

    VAlerie, why am I not surprised. We are like twins in so many ways! I would love to play the guitar, something else you can sing to! Sigh . . .

    Sounds like a beautiful dream Anna! I would only have one of those big old houses now if I could afford a maid to clean it too! But then again, I'd be cleaning it before the maid arrived so she wouldn't think we were dirty! I can't win! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've brought back some lovely memories, Marie. My favorite dress memory is from 1968, not quite the fifties, but close. It was yellow dotted Swiss, sleeveless and had a full skirt. I'm not sure I liked any outfit as much since.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I was born in 1955, so probably can't remember very much of what I wore then either. I do have specific memories of a blue dress with puff sleeves and a white lace overskirt that I received from a neighbors grandmother in 1962! I loved it. I called it the elephant dress because there was a pattern of elephants in the lace. Funny the things we remember! Your dress sounds lovely! xx

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!