Wednesday 5 August 2015

Wednesday thoughts . . .



 photo b90fb24972abf404e5eca768d38c1eb8_zpsgochhnos.jpg

Well, in just a little bit over a week, I will start a new decade in my life.  It seems like just yesterday I was turning ten years old and the fifty years in between ten and now seem to have just flown by.  I'm not sure how I feel about sixty.  I guess if I was being honest with myself and with you, I would have to say that I am fearful of sixty.  It seems quite old to me . . .  it's an age I never really thought of being . . .  or actually even aspired to be. It comes with the realization that I have way more of my life sitting behind me than I have waiting in front of me, but then . . .  I felt that at fifty also.

I know all the platitudes . . .  age is just a number . . . you're only as old as you feel, etc.   but they don't really help.   Some days I feel 100 and some days I feel 16.  I guess it's a matter of perspective.

My life at the moment is very good.  Except for the occasional upset, it's been very good for a long time . . . real joy comes when you realize that life is not so much about having what you want,  as it is about wanting what you already have.  And I got plenty of that.

 photo ee7b6a93e50748d8d4e799762946d316_zpsxuf2j9p4.jpg

Learning that I am much, much more than the sum of my mistakes in life . . .  has been one of the greatest lessons I have learned in my fifties.   With this comes learning to forgive myself and healing.  I cannot control what other's think and feel, but how they think and feel about me does not define who I am.   If someone chooses to think that I am only about the worst thing I have ever done in my life, or that my failures are who I am  . . .  then they have never taken the time to really know me . . . for I have come to realize that I am very much more than that . . .

What's more . . .  do I really want people playing an active part in my life that would rather define me by my mistakes???  I don't think so.  This type of behavior says a lot more about them than it does about me.


 photo ee29381fe5a9c40137d4f748dec8f432_zpsbgyh3xfu.jpg

We all have them . . .  bad days.   The secret is not to dwell on them.  Let them go and know that tomorrow you will do better, that things will seem better . . .  that this too shall pass. Don't let a bad today define your tomorrow.  Take a deep breath and move on.   Be positive rather than negative. 

Some of the most miserable people I’ve ever known have been ones who I could always count on to see the negative in any given situation. When you have a positive mindset, you are more able to experience the gratitude you have for all that is good in your life. It also allows you to be more optimistic when something doesn’t go as planned.

 photo af73fa8e574b25f6289e97469619f84a_zps2zkepx9i.jpg

Forgive, forgive . . .  forgive.  I know this is sometimes a lot easier said than done, but I truly believe it is necessary if you are going to find real happiness.   That doesn't mean you forget . . .  only that you don't let someone else's lack of sensitivity or maturity colour your possibility.  Being unable to forgive is like hanging a stone around your neck.   The more stones you carry around the neck, the more they weigh you down.   You are the only one who has the power to cast them off.   You may need the Lord's help in doing so.  Use it.  Resting and relying on the Lord's help to cast off negative energy does not make you weak . . . it is empowering.   Know this to be true.  And this includes learning to forgive yourself . . .  which is maybe more important than learning to forgive someone else.

Stop wasting time beating yourself up over mistakes you’ve made or things you are no longer in control of; dwelling on negative thoughts doesn’t leave much room for the positive ones.

Let go  . . .  Let God.

 photo f9992550a3ffe7715ea1a0b0eb1d203a_zpsmr8hqn5c.jpg

Be kind.   Even to those who hurt you.  Especially to those who hurt you.   Practice kindness every day and in time it just becomes a way of life.  Kindness is a gift you give yourself . . .  largely due in part to the fact that it's a gift that gives back.  Both the receiver and the giver gain.  Volunteer . . .  reach out to others . . . give.  And do it all selflessly.

 photo 8908ea0865c0d1b8641bcafbf1c7eb77_zps01tmrp6q.jpg

Let tomorrow take care of itself.  Make the most out of every minute of today.  Take THIS day and wring all the joy and possibility from it that you can.  Even when you think it could be better . . .  know always that it could also be a lot worse.


 photo b62a67408684ecfad42291f2f5d9bd4f_zps6wvphsdx.jpg

Just be you.   And know that you are  . . .  good enough, smart enough, pretty enough . . . just know and embrace that YOU are enough.  Love yourself . . .  and loving others comes easily.  And I don't mean that in a narcissistic type of way.

Just my thoughts today . . .

We are off to Manchester this morning as it is Transfer Day for the Missionaries.  This is the day when we will be saying goodbye to some of our missionaries in this area as they move into new areas and we say hello to others as they move into ours.  It's also the day that new missionaries come into the Mission and that the ones who have finished their mission say farewell and prepare to go home to their families.  It is a mix of joy and sadness . . .  because we always miss the ones that leave.

We will be saying goodbye for now to . . .

 photo DSCN2243_zpsdmzksxoh.jpg

Sister Christabel and cheeky Elder Johnson.   We will miss them for sure, but we will also get to meet and make friends with two new youngsters.   We get to drive all the way to Manchester with Elder Johnson and Elder Dadd in our car today so that will be fun, or at the very least interesting!  It is a priveledge to get to serve with these wonderful young people.

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .
 
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥
Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak,
It is also what it takes to sit down and listen . . . 
~Winston Churchill
❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥.¸¸.✿¨¯`❥✻❥

  photo DSCN2471_zpsabzr2ipk.jpg

Cooking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Four Cheese and Pepper Omelettes.

Have a fabulous Wednesday!  Don't forget . . .

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


8 comments:

  1. Enjoy the trip today. I am sure the missionaries will brighten the trip no end God grant you safe travels.

    Yes forgiveness is vital and how wish forgetting was easy. I have been known to nail my concerns to the cross and it does help.

    My day is almost over. After days of summer time temperatures today has been much cooler. I am glad that winter has decided to visit again. I am not prepared for our summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on the forgetting bit Suzan. It's a bit tougher! Love you! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of lovely thoughts here this AM..Enjoy the day Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 60 is a major mile marker but for me it was relatively painless. I worked until 66 then retired. I really didn't notice my age until the magical 70th. I am slower than slower these days but still and all enjoying life. Take it one day at a time and enjoy your birthday celebration. That is what it is a celebration !

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful blog today..so many wise words...oh that we would all remember them...I hope your drive to Manchester went well and that by now you are home safely..sorry that I did not get this comment written this morning but I had another of these horrible ...turns...that I get, thankfully by lunch time I felt better but did not go to see Mary today Lyn went for me night night. God Bless xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monique! xoxo

    Pam, you are fabulous at 70! Todd will be 77 on his birthday in September and can run circles around me! I will try to enjoy it for what it is, a blessing! xoxo

    Thanks Sybil. I am worrid about your bad turns. I hope you have seen a Doctor about them! ((((hugs)))) Keeping you in my prayers. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Marie... this is one of your most, beautiful glorious posts ever! Such uplifting thoughts... and for all ages too! ;o) Each decade brings it's own special gifts. And as we age, each decade does seem more and more like milestones. Forgiveness and acceptance are BIG issues as we age, I think. Cultivating a lighter-heart helps soothe things. I read a wonderful quote by Mother Teresa today during my prayer time: "He will use you to accomplish great things on the condition that you believe much more in His love than in your weakness." Something to reflect on every day... and maybe every decade. :o) LOVE YOU LOTS, dear friend--and pretty soon I'll have known you for a decade!! ((LOVE & BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hard to believe it has been a decade already Tracy! Time flies when you are having fun. I love, LOVE that quote from Mother Teresa. I am making note of it. Thank you so much for your comments! and your love. Love you right back! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!