Sunday 27 December 2015

A little bit of nothing and an abundance of not a lot.


 

"It is a beautiful arrangement, also, derived from days or yore, that this festival, which commemorates the announcement of the religion of peace and love, has been made the season of gathering together of familiar connections, and drawing closer again those bands of kindred hearts, which the cares and pleasures and sorrows of the world are continually operating to cut lose; of calling back the children of a family, who have launcheed forth in life, and wandered widely asunder, once more to assemble about the paternal hearth, that rallying place of the affections, there to grow young and loving again among the endearing mementos of childhood."
~Washington Irving, Christmas at Bracebridge Hall

I found this thought this morning and pondered to myself, what beautiful sentiments.   There is something in the heart at this time of year which longs to take itself back to the roots of one's being . . .  to be amongst those we love and care about, with whom we share a history which we share with none other.  Oh that I could, but alas I cannot.   But in my mind and my heart, I am there.

 

Devastating floods again to the North of us.  This has been a pretty wet and dismal Christmas for so many.   That is what happens with the weather is far too mild here at this time of year.  We get rain, rain and more rain.   Our back garden lays in puddles of water that the already over-saturated ground cannot possibly absorb.  Please spare a few prayers for those who have been so adversely affected these past weeks by this horrible weather.


I spoke to my brother briefly on Christmas day in Ottawa and he was going for a bicycle ride.  Unheard of for this time of year in that place.  Two green Christmas's in a row for Nova Scotia.  I hope they don't get the snow afterwards to make up for it that they got last year.

Must dash.  I know I have not written much, but my computer has been really messing about this morning.   Sluggish and just not wanting to cooperate in the least.  Some days are just like that n'est ce pas?  Mais oui! 



In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Maraschino Cherry Cake!


Have a wonderful and blessed sabbath, the last of this year!  Don't forget,

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too!


 

5 comments:

  1. Oh my darling I am so sorry for those that are having an extremely soggy time. Snow fell over the 12 hours in Finland. Yet again Beth has had a European green Christmas. Meanwhile, here many have lost their homes in huge bushfires and a cyclone is brewing.

    God bless us all and watch over our groaning planet.

    Enjoy your day whatever you choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning Marie...or actually good afternoon as it's just after 12 noon....it's been a very wet morning here but thankfully it's dry now..it breaks my heart to see so many folks being made homeless due to the flooding all around York, and so many other places in that area...
    Lovely that you got through to your brother . Ottawa has always been a favourite place of mine and I always in visualised people skating around the canal, pulling little sleds with the children in them...certainly not this year though....I expect it's the same in Halifax etc...
    Wonder if you got to church this morning, I have had a day off...Beth may be down and I wanted to be here for her as she has had a horrid Xmas not feeling at all well...I've told her not to worry if she can't come down...maybe she has decided not to come as I hadn't heard yet...whatever you do for the rest of the day I hope that your shingles pain has eased away and you and Toddcan just relax in each other's company xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Computers can be frustrating and we've all had it at one time or another. Take care and have a bless Sunday !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon Matin Marie..freezing rain here..I have visions of our world famous ice storm..and hope NOT.
    Watched Call The Midwife last night..the Christmas special.It's my fave show on earth..cried of course..and I KNEW her name would be Joy.
    Hope your glitch unglitches.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Suzan ,it does indeed seem as if the world is groaning, but as we know this is a sign of the times. Doesn't make it easier to tolerate though. Xo

    It is snowing in Nova Scotia today Sybil. I tried hard to call them today, but couldn't get through. My mom had to call me. My shingles have flared up today, but that is to be expected I guess, until they are finally gone for good. Xo

    Thanks Pam. God bless you. Xo

    Oh I hope and pray that you don't have another ice storm like that one Monique! Wasn't the CTMW great! It was setting us up for the next season! No chummy in it though. I wonder why! Touches your heart in a special way. That show is so special!xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!