Saturday 23 July 2016

Sometimes my mind wanders . . .




More and more it is becoming clear to me that I really have a strong desire to visit Scandinavia.  I am totally obsessed with Scandinavian culture, architecture, etc.  When I think back I realise that this has always been a fascination with me dating back to when I used to spend  hours perusing the Geography volumes of our Encyclopedia.  And when I say hours, I really mean hours.

I practically wore the pages out visiting all the countries of the world!  Geograpy and history have always been a great love of mine, which interestingly enough are also great loves of Todd!

  

Recently we watched on the television a program called Great Canal Journey's in which the actress Prunella Scales and her husband Timothy West traveled the canals of Sweden . . .



 What an utterly fascinating trip they had.  They are a fascinating couple, but this trip they took had me totally enthralled.  It is something which I would love to do . . .

 

And I have been totally enthralled with the art of the Swedish Artist Carl Larsson . . .

 

I consider them to be a wonderful glimpse into Scandanavian culture from the late 19th century . . .  the architecture etc.



I love, Love, LOVE Scandanavian design in pottery, fabrics, furnishings, etc.   I could spend hours in Ikea . . .  but have only ever been there once.  Wore my feet about out.  We were in the shop for several hours but I could easily have stayed several hours longer.  I spend lots of time in their online shop however  . . .  wishing and hoping and dreaming  . . .

 photo SAM_2075.jpg

When we moved back here to Chester from down South, we furnished our whole bedroom via Ikea.   It was the cheapest way to do it.  Before we moved down South we had a very old second hand bed and tatty old wardrobe/dresser which we had picked up very very cheap.  We moved into a semi-furnished cottage down there so we got rid of them all when we went there.  Of course that meant when we left that we had practically no furnishings of our own . . . .  I love our bedroom. The only thing that has changed since these photos were taken  . . .

 photo SAM_2076.jpg

Are the bedside lamps.

 

These are the ones we have now, but with different shades.  The shades are an ecru colour, with pale white flowers on them.  I like them.

 

What I wouldn't give to be able to rip up the dark carpeting in our lounge and replace it with something more neutral and then completely change the colour scheme of the whole room to something lighter and airier . . . .

 

And do something like this in the dining area . . .  baby steps.  I am working on the downsizing, etc.  We are slowly getting there.  We just have too much stuff . . .

 

Sigh  . . .

 

We recently watched the Swedish Series "Thicker Than Water" on Walter Presents and thoroughly enjoyed it, even if there were subtitles.  It didn't seem to matter.  We were hooked.

 

At the moment we are enjoying Dicte.  She is a crime reporter.  Its fabulous  . . .  again sub-titled.

 

In the past we have enjoyed this series also.  And of course we enjoy The Vikings . . . 

 

And I love anything to do with Tilda  . . . the fabrics, etc.  Mostly the fabrics . . .

Maybe one day I will get there . . . to Scandanavia . . .  but in the meantime I dream, and build up my vision book/board, because after all, in order to have a dream come true, you have to have a dream . . . I am a dreamer for sure.   We  live in such a sad world nowadays  . . . it helps to have a way to escape, even if only for a few minutes at a time.  

What are some of your dreams/hopes/aspirations/desires as far as places you want to see, etc. goes?

WE have the zone leaders coming today for their supper, and maybe a friend as well, so I best get off here and get busy.  I have a lot to do before then!!

A thought to carry with you through today  . . .

 ⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰
Sometimes you don't feel the weight
of something you've been carrying,
until you feel the weight of
its release.
~Unknown
 ⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰⊰✿⊰

Spiritual Enlightenment




Baking in The English Kitchen today  . . .  Jammy Thumb Prints.  A gift for a friend.


Have a wonderful Saturday!  I hope you are blessed no matter what you get up to.  Don't forget!

 ═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!


6 comments:

  1. I have been very lucky to have cruised now twice to Norway and another week booked next April..just another thing we have in common our love for things Scandanavian...If I had a manic wand Marie I would just love to take you and Todd with us next year...actually it was a cheaper than usual cruise if I remember when I booked it months and months ago it's a 7 day PO cruise from Southampton .....
    I have been to IKEA I think twice again I fell in love with almost everything ...what are we like LOL....well my visitor is still not through yet although I did hear her up at 5.30 !...I will have to go knock the bedroom door if she still wants to go to Chippenham with us at 8.40 ish...oh here she comes !!.....better go make her a cuppa....have a lovely day. Quite thick here at the moment. Sun will soon break through I think...hVe a lovely weekend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah how I love european things. I have been trying to watch the tour so I can see the homes, buildings and scenery. I love to enjoy that every year. Ikea is a few km down the road and I don't visit that much. There is too much temptation. This is coupled with a major a craft store across the way and therefore I must avoid this. I would so love to see the fiords and mountains. The closest I seem to get is New Zealand. I am want to travel so.

    Philippa, my youngest, was named by Bethany after she fell in love with Pippi Longstocking.

    I hope that your evening goes so very well. Enjoy the company and try to not work too hard. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I will just have to bite the bullet and save for a Norwegian Cruise Sybil! Oh, it sounds lovely. I am not surprised we like the same things. Like is drawn to like! Sounds as if you are enjoying your visitor! Hope you have a fine day. It is gorgeous up here. xoxo

    Ohhhhhh Suzan, NewZealand has long been on our bucket list. Such a beautiful country. I loved Pippi Longstocking when I was a girl! Have a fabulous evening. God bless! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sincerely hope all your dreams come true!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another fun read! I have ancestory from Denmark Nd Sweden; therefore interested in learning more about those countries. Of course, I will probably never get there. I do like the light and bright decor. I think ours is a bit drab. You sparked my interest so I will take a peak at your boards. Love, blessings and hugs!😊💕❤️

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Monique and LeAnn! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!