Thursday 29 June 2017

My favourite things . . .



These are a few of my favourite things  . . . maybe some of them are yours also!


Men in kilts . . .  you can call it my "Kilty" pleasure  . . . 

  

Daisies.  They make me smile.  Love them, big, small and inbetween.  Love fabric printed with daisies.  Love painting and sketching daisies.  Just love Daisies. They are a cheerful flower.


Criss cross sheer lace curtains.   I had some of these in the living room in our house in New Brunswick and I loved them.  My ex MIL had some in her living room also.  They made me feel all June Cleaver.  I would love it if I could make some for our windows here, but my windows are so big it would take a truck load of material! 


The BBC series Cranford.  I love the ladies of Cranford.  We have both series on DVD.  Based on the writings of Elisabeth Gaskill, the series takes place in Georgian Cheshire, before the time of the railroads.  I never tire of it.  Never.

  

Pretty footstools.   I love a footstool anyways, but if they are pretty, so much the better.  Perhaps I will make one . . . 


Baking . . .  there is something very comforting to be found in the domestic art of baking . . .  rolling out doughs, kneading, stirring, beating . . . the smells, the tastes . . . the act of creating something beautifully edible from the combining of other things.  Its an art form.

  

Freshly picked strawberries.  There is nothing like the taste of a freshly picked strawberry. They are so sweet and satisfying . . . the sooner eaten after picking the better . . .  right in the field, best of all. It annoys me when I see punnets of berries in the shops holding berries which are not actually ripe, with green spots still on them. What a waste. These will never ripen. Berries only ripen on the vine . . . unlike some other fruits.


It is not something I indulge in very often  . . .  but I adore cookies and milk.  Preferably homebaked cookies.  Especially if they contain oats.  Oatmeal cookies and milk are the best.  Sigh  . . . 


Lavender.  Ours is in bloom at the moment.  I picked a tiny bit yesterday and stuck it in a vase.  It smells heavenly.  I also love this vase.  It is a throwaway from the Manor, something she did not want any more.  The housekeeper offered it to me, and I gladly took it.  I think it is really sweet.

  

Vintage Cookie Jars.  I love them, and this is mine.  I bought her at a yard sale a long time ago and she has never broken, thank goodness.  I had a cowboy pig also, but he did break.  Not sure if she is worth anything, but it doesn't really matter.  She is worth something to me.  I love her.

And those are my favourite things for this week.  What are some of yours?

A thought to carry with you . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° ˛°. . 
˛ Its not just about creativity,
Its about the person you're becoming
while you're creating.
~Charlie Peacock  •。★★ 。* 。 


  

In The English Kitchen today  . . . Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Gnocchi.  Seriously tasty!  On the table in 15 minutes or less. That's my kind of food! 

Have a great Thursday!  Don't forget along the way  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 


9 comments:

  1. Good morning darling Marie. I love the things you find. I want to downsize the junk and turn this house into a cosy cottage. Maybe one day. Pip sat down and tried to get mum to sort through some old magazines. We now have three to keep piles and maybe one magazine was tossed.

    Today I went shopping and came home with three baby patterns so I can make the baby some light summer dresses with embroidered yokes.

    Have a happy day and say hello to Todd and ask him to give you a big hug from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your vase! And the ladybug..and arrangement and cookie jar and strawberries..and cookies..
    I have 2 footstools..friends were throwing out a small wing chair and footstool..red..theye were by the road..I rang the bell and asked:) So they have been in my kitchen since..footstool hidden under the desk.I would love to recover like the one you show:):)The other is a small square on iron legs..a gift 100 yrs ago..I have my Willow Trees in a case on it..bad girl.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't we can ever end downsizing Suzan. There is always something we don't need, use, want, etc. We are always saying we need to downsize. We do a bit, and then are astonished at how much there still is to do! I think your little summer dresses with embroidered yokes sound beautiful. Have you ever done smocking? I love, LOVE smocking! I did some beautiful ones for my granddaughter. I never got to see her in them. Sigh . . . Hugs right back! xoxo

    I would love, LOVE to see your small square on iron legs footstool Monique! It sounds very vintagey, maybe Victorian, or maybe I am romanticising it in my head! How lovely to have a kitchen large enough to have a cosy chair to sit on! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too love your vase; it's very similar to a candlestick I bought in Quimper, Brittany in 1953. My father and I toured around in the car, it was very quiet, being out of season, and the Coronation happening at home!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely memory Bunny! Maybe it isn't a case at all but a candlestick! I never thought of that! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marie I hand smocked a few dresses. I lent them to a friend and she ruined them. All six of them. Truthfully in our part of Australia babies only need a singlet and nappy or just a nappy in summer. I dressed mine to protect them form the sun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I keep forgetting how hot it gets where you live Suzan! I cannot imagine! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the lavender and of course that beautiful vase Marie! T
    hat would hold up the flowers that droop down. I haven't been on the internet bc they're improving it, so the towers are down. I can't even use my phone,or text someone. I think that's a lot of bs,esp on the weekend! I had to go over my parent's house and call that company to find that out! They should of texted or emailed me about it! Time to get another phone and company soon! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Jan, its not a big one, only tiny, but I think its very sweet. I feel your pain and displeasure at your internet woes! However did we get along without it, but somehow we did. I would not want to be without it now! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!