Thursday 31 August 2017

My favourite things . . .

 

These are some of my favourite things. Maybe some of them are yours too! 


Autumn fruits, especially plums! I adore plums and the deeper purple the skin the better.  I think my favourite has to be Pluots.  Technically they are a crossbreed of plum and apricot, but they seem more like plums to me than apricots.  I adore their flavour.  I don't get as excited about bananas or many other fruits, but plums, pears, apples and melons!  Those have me digging in for more! 


I am in love with the Debbie Bliss Cotton DK Print yarns.  I picked up a few balls while I was on my forces hiatus.  They are gorgeous. The colour is amazing.  Bright and cheerful! 

 

I got about a bazillion dishcloths done this week mostly using the Debbie Bliss yarn. Very happy with the results.  I also did half a dozen white ones for a friend who had requested them.  She was very happy with them also.  I thought I would get so much cooking done and maybe even some art, but alas . . .  I did not.  I mostly just puttered about. 


I love, LOVE feeding the Missionaries and we have the Sisters coming over for a meal today.  I am making my Cheesy Chicken Rarebits.  Its a real favourite when I make it for anyone.  I'll also cook rice, and make a salad. And I have French bread. I splurged and bought custard slices for dessert.  They are coming early for a late lunch/early supper at 2 pm. Can't wait! 

  

I love pistachio nuts.  I never even knew they existed until I was about 22 years old. We were visiting with a friend's family in Olds, Alberta and the girls were eating bags of these pistachio nuts while we were playing cards. They were died pink for some odd reason.  I was not fond of the colour, but I did like the taste of the nuts.  I have been a solid fan ever since, except I prefer them in their natural state, roasted and salted, but I am extremely fond of the salt and pepper roasted ones.  Mmm . . .  they are some good.  Apparently pistachio nuts are great for lowering blood pressure.  Probably not the salted ones however  . . . 


I was very brave and went into town with Todd one day this week.  I had some banking to do and to be honest I had not been in since my knee problem started and they opened the new Bus Station at Gorse Stacks.  Part of the reason I hadn't been in was because of the location of the new Bus Station. I felt that I would not be able to walk all the way from it to the centre of town.  However Todd reassured me that they have put on a hopper bus that takes people to where the old bus station used to be every 15 minutes. I hope that they keep that up.  We didn't use the hopper on our way in, instead we got off one stop before the bus station, which made it a fairly easy walk to where I needed to go. It was still not that easy because of my knee, but I managed to get it done. We didn't do much.  I just went to the bank and then we had a drink at McDonalds which is across from the bank and we caught the  hopper bus back to the Bus Station and then came home. I coped alright and am feeling a lot more secure in my ability to cope with the change now. Fear does keep a person from doing a lot of things.  Glad I was brave and went for it!  Its quite an attractive station, although to be sure it is not in the best location in my honest opinion.


I have become quite fond of baking my own bread, now that I have found a great recipe and managed to come up with a decent loaf.  I need to branch out and try a whole wheat loaf now, but have made bread about twice a week since I first cracked it!  Todd is loving it and so am I!

 

I love clouds.  I have always loved cloud watching. I used to know all the names of the various kinds of clouds, but have forgotten some of them now.  These were laying in the sky to the back of us last evening as dusk was settling in.  I loved the way the light was playing on the top of them, bathing the in a sort of a golden hue.  I thought them quite beautiful. The days are really beginning to shorten noticeably now. We are now going to bed in darkness and it is dark when I get up in the morning. enjoying the cooler sleeping temps though! 


Of all the seasons  . . .  Autumn is my favourite one.  It really is. I love the smells, textures, colours . . . I just love autumn full stop. Its too bad it can't stay autumn all year round, but then . . .  if we did not have the other seasons we would not be able to appreciate autumn as much, and to be honest there are things I really love about the other seasons of the year also! 


My daughter Amanda's Ultimate Team played in the Ultimate Championships last week in Ottawa and they came up Gold, winning over all.  They are now headed for the Internationals next year.  So proud of her and the team.  I so wish that I could watch them play. I love that my girls are both gold winning atheletes.  They sure don't get that from me! 

  

We just finished watching the last Episode of Game of Thrones, Season 7.  No spoilers here, but . . . I thought this was one of the best seasons so far.  Aside from the swearing, which I have never liked, I really enjoyed this season. It left me wanting more.  On the other hand we recently started watching the Gilmore Girls again for the Third time and are loving it just as much as ever.  I don't know why we never watched it when it was on the television.

And those are my favourites for this week.  Not too exciting I'm afraid.  But I will soon be up and back into the swing of things. I hated being away for the whole time we were unable to get online and I hated that I was unable to post to let you know what was up.  I don't know how anyone manages to use their phone to do stuff  like this because I just could not!  My thumbs are like hams I think!  So frustrating and of course I was very wary of using my data up as my plan doesn't have a lot of data to use, seeing as when I set it up I never figured on having to really use any!  Nevermind, all is working now and I have been working on my food blog as well, trying to make it more user friendly etc.  Its a steep learning curve for sure!  On the plus side, I got almost two chapters done on my next cookbook. (God willing!)  Hopefully it won't be long now before the first one is for sale.  I have seen the whole draft and it looks pretty amazing to me! And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day.

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.° If we opened our minds to enjoyment,
we might find tranquil pleasures spread about us on every side.
We might live with the angels that visit us on every sunbeam,
and sit with fairies who wait on every flower.
~Samuel Smiles  .° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •


 

In The English Kitchen today  . . .  Beetroot Chutney.  Seriously tasty and so simple to make.

Have a great Thursday.  Don't forget along the way . . . 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too!  (Missed you!) 

 


9 comments:

  1. Good morning or afternoon everyone. I am very late today and I still have some excess tomatoes roasting down in the oven. I have also roasted some chicken wings and am converting that into stock.

    Marie I am so happy that you were able to go to town and back. It does me the world of good to leave the house and I hope it does for you too. I thought your new bus station was a lot further out and wondered if it was impractical for you.

    Your meal sounds delicious. I hope everyone enjoys their dinner. Your bread sounds delicious. I am back on the gluten free bread and I miss bread. Bread is certainly not my friend.

    Like you I enjoy watching the sky and the clouds. But I am not looking forward to spring. We have had our hottest winter on record. At least I had some winter this year. Our days are slowly getting longer and soon it will be light at 4.30.

    God bless you and keep you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is quite far at the other end of town Suzan. In order to get to where the Cathedral and Town Hall are, you need to walk all the way through town. Its very difficult for the elderly and for anyone with a compromised mobility. As it is, if you take the hopper, which gets you to the town centre, you have to walk all the way through the whole bus interchange from one side to the other. (Its shaped like a horseshoe) I managed the other day, but on a bad day I would not be able to cope at all. I hate feeling chained to my house. We have had possibly the worse summer weatherwise that we have had since I moved over here. Blah, blah, blah! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are back! You got so many pretty dishcloths done..and 2 more chapters on the next book:)
    I find the Cupcake marketing of that cute wool so cute w/ a pompom on top to make a tuque:)
    I have met a fabulous knitter/nice person:) So talented..

    Talented like you:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were able to get out and about. It's no fun being at home all the time. I just take it slow whenever I go out these days. It will be exciting seeing your cook book! I'm going to check out your cheesy chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie. I saw the bus station last time we went to Chester. It looks nice but youre right, it is out of the way. We either get the train and the bus or the park and ride. So pleased you went though, it does you good to get out.

    I love Autumn too, its my favourite. The gorgeous colours and the chill in the air, plus my birthday!!!

    Well done to Amanda! Thats incredible!! She must be so fit.

    So glad everythings back to normal. I missed you and everyone else. Lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Debi bliss wool ? Looks lovely but don't think I have seen it around here, is it very expensive Marie ?...at least I got in tonight that was strange this morning. I wonder if you saw my coment ? When I tried to write it each time it came to a long ago blog think it was March ....most peculiar, .....by now you will have fed your missionaries their excellent dinner. You are amazing the food you produce..one day I will get to enjoy it...I'm glad you managed to get into town without to much hassle and got done whatever you needed. Strange that they build a bus station way out of centre of town. At least Bath bus/coach station is in centre of town only problem is there Is nowhere to park or even stop to let people get on the coaches...as we found out !!!......hope you have had a good day. I had the cafe this morning, we were very quiet think folks are away for the last week of the holidays the Bairns go back to school next week....night night God Bless. Xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Marie, So happy that you are up and running again!
    Spring is my favorite season and then autumn.
    Yay,that ur cookbook is coming out soon!
    So proud of you, that u already got started on ur next cookbook too! There's no stopping u now! Lol.
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am sure you will tell us more about your knitting friend on your blog Monique? I hope! The Debbie Bliss yarn is very nice, a bit more expensive than the others, but such pretty colours! Love and hugs. xoxo

    Pam, I am like you, taking things a lot slower these days. I need to get out more though! Love and hugs and blessings to you! xoxo

    Our Amanda has always been really athletic Kate! Fit as a fiddle. I can remember being worried about her when she was a teenager because she counted the fat in everything. But she is 38 now, has two beautiful children and a lovely figure. So my worries were for naught!Love you too! xoxo

    I got it from The Wool Warehouse (online shop and very good) Sybil! The lady who runs it was on our Scottish Coach Trip this summer and such a nice lady! I miss our visiting friends Sybil. What a boost that was to both our years! Next time it must be YOU and ME! Love you! xoxo

    Thanks Jan! I am thinking it must be coming out any day now! They can't have much more to do on it I wouldn't think! Its a long process this book publishing! Love and hugs! xoxo

    I sure missed you guys!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!