Thursday 12 October 2017

My favourite things . . .



These are a few of my favourite things. Maybe some of them are your favourites too!


Long soaks in a hot bath. I used to love those.  A good book or a magazine to read. Peace and quiet.  Maybe some bubbles.  Sadly we no longer have a bath and, truth be told, with my knees I would not be able to get in and out of a tub anyways.  But I did love a good hot soak . . . that reminds me of a cute story.  When my oldest son was a toddler, he was in the bath one day and he noticed that his fingers were all wrinkly and he held them up and said all excitedly.  "Twinkles mommy! Twinkles!" 

Love that memory.

  

He was and is a little charmer!  Age 13 months.


Dutchie Donuts.  Oh, I love them.  They do not make these over here.  I used to treat myself to one from Tim Hortons every now and again back in the day.  Dutchie Timbits were also pretty darned tasty! 

  

Pastry. Of any kind. I adore pastry.  Short crust.  Rough Puff.  Puff, etc.  I LOVE PASTRY.  So does my whole family.  Growing up not a scrap of pastry was ever wasted.  If there was any leftover it was made into jam tarts, or pie crust cookies, weiner rolls.  Sometimes my mom would roll out the trimmings, butter them and fold them, butter them again and fold them and then cut them into small squares which we would enjoy with soup, or with peanut butter, or butter and peanut butter. 

Now you know why I look the way I do.


I love my dishwasher.  I have a slim line Zanussi.  I would not be without it now.  Everything gets so clean in it, much cleaner than if you were washing dishes by hand. I know how to pack it just right.  I can fit in a full days dishes when its just us two.  When we have company, I do two loads, or I just do the dishes and wash the pots and pans by hand, but not if I can help it. lol   I am so lazy, I know, and spoiled. I do wash and go when I am baking however.  I am a wash and go baker.


I love our little table for two. It is just the right size for our house.  We don't have those chairs though  . . . 

  

We actually have two of these.  They are a bit hard for sitting on.
But I can make cushions, at least I have been saying that I will make cushions.
I better make some cushions.


When we have company, we use these.  Yes, we are that crass.  We just don't have the space to pull out a table and sit people around it. TV trays work find and nobody seems to mind in the least, or if they do, they aren't saying that they do.

  
 Good old Pyrex casserole dishes.  I love them and have them in a multitude of sizes. You can't beat them.  They are economical, attractive and they wash and wear well. Plus they don't stain.


Duralex glasses for every day.  They stack so they don't take up too much room in the cupboard.  They're cheap and they're durable, plus they come in a bunch of different sizes, and apparently colours, although I only have the clear glass ones. You can't beat them.

 

I like cutlery that is heavy and smooth and that feels good in your hands.  I think this one is very nice. Robert Welch Iona.  Putting it on my wish list.  The cutlery we have at the moment we bought out of the back of some guys car in our driveway.  Apparently he had been over here to the UK to a show and wanted to get rid of it before he went back across the channel.  We got it for a good price, at least I think we did, lol.  Who knows.  Its German.


I loved this book as a child. The Brinkers are a poor but stoic family under a dark cloud – Raff, the man of the house, fell from the dikes while reinforcing them during a bad storm, and for ten years he has been in a vegetative state. With no steady income, the family’s lot is grinding poverty. Despite their unfortunate circumstances, Hans and Gretel are cheerful children, yet always attentive to the needs of their mother and their present-but-not-really-there father. Their social standing is very low, but they both attract firm friends, even among the gentry, for their honesty, industry, and good-heartedness. Then a glorious skating race is proposed for the town of Broek, with the prize a pair of silver skates for both the winning boy and girl. In the weeks leading up to the race, we follow the adventures of five of the local boys who are showing a visiting relative from England the sights of the Netherlands. Hans improbably meets the one man who might be able to heal his father, and somehow Hans finds a way to afford some skates so that he and Gretel can enter the race. Disney also made it into a film.  I remember watching it on Wonderful World of Disney.

 

Stranger Things. We just started watching it on Netflix.  We are hooked.  That brings me to another one of my favourite things.


I LOVE NETFLIX.
I wouldn't want to be without it now.  There is so much garbage on TV
these days and Netflix makes it so you can choose what  you
want to watch, when you want to watch it.

  

I adore Nachos.  My sister introduced me to them many moons ago.  I could eat a plate of these with some salsa and sour cream for my dinner and nothing else.  Unfortunately Todd does not like Nachos. He doesn't like anything hard. He finds hard things too difficult to eat.  So we never have them.  Maybe one day I will make him a Steak and Kidney Pie and I'll have nachos.  Everybody's happy. 


I love watching The Pioneer Woman. Todd can't stand her. He says she sounds like a duck quacking when she talks, and I admit, he has a point.  I tape the shows and then watch them when he is out.  I don't mind the sound of ducks.  I am not overly fond of her page though, never have been.  All those photos of every step along the way.  Overkill.  I always scroll down right to the recipe.  Her cookbooks are the same.  Oodles of photos of every step along the way.  I can remember whe my friend down South Nic showed me her page for the first time.  We both thought all the photos were a load of over-kill, but whos over-killing it all the way to the bank?  Pioneer Woman.

Still love her show though.  Quack, Quack.


I love colour . . .  bright, stupendous colour.  All colours.  Rainbows of colour.  I am living my life in colour.  (But I do like old black and white films, wish however that they were in colour. I'd like them even more then!) 

  

Vanilla.  Its one of my favourite fragrances and tastes.  I love Vanilla ice cream, vanilla cake, vanilla shakes, vanilla cookies, vanilla candles, vanilla sugar.  I LOVE VANILLA. 


Susan Branch's new line of goodies.  Plates, mugs, etc.   I have that mug, but now I want this little stand up thingie.  I know.  I am greedy.  Sigh . . . 

And those are my favourite things this week.  PS - YOU are also my favourite  Just wanted you to know. ♥♥♥

A thought to carry with you.

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Difficult roads often lead to
beautiful destinations.
~Unknown   •。★★ 。* 。 


  

In The English Kitchen today . . .  No Fail Quiche.  There's no crust so it is very diabetic friendly.

Have a great Thursday.  We have an engineer coming to sort out our Dishwasher.  It doesn't seem to heat the water every time. I think we need a new heating element.  Thank goodness for our maintenance plan. We don't have it on all our electrical appliances, but we have it on our stove, dishwasher and washing machine. That reminds me, I need someone to come and sort out the oven light in our stove.

Don't forget along the way of your day!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════


And I do too!

 


7 comments:

  1. Hi Marie, love all your favourite things today especially little twinkle twoes!!

    I had a lovely day in Liverpool yesterday apart from getting drenched! I'm meeting my sister for lunch today which will be lovely too. Fortunately nothing going on tomorrow so I can catch up with my jobs before we head to London on Saturday!

    Hope your dishwasher gets fixed today, lot's of love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh thanks Kate! I hope you have a lovely lunch with your sister today! How wonderful that you live close enough to each other for that! Love and hugs! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Netflix too and watch it daily. I agree there really is not much of interest on regular TV and we have a lot to choose from on Netflix. Hope your Thursday is a great one !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh the stand up thingie♥
    What's not to love about everything Susan?
    I have Isle of Dreams in my cart..

    one day....lol

    Have had many expenses as you can imagine and now it's something else and Xmas..not complaining..just have to pace..pace..myself;)

    All these little things make us happy looking at tem..
    I love Netflix too..a lot..
    I don't know how to use it..nor 10 of our remotes..but I only watch w/ J at night..for about 1 1/2 hrs.

    Have you started This Is Us?

    Jacques is not a PW fan either:(

    Not the kindest thing to say..but the truth..

    we like our dishwasher too 16 yrs and still good..Bosch..we don't hear it..we pack it in too..and it can be days..I don't put pots and pans..and my girls know we rinse everything first..no full meals in there..;)

    sun is out..more gaden slumbering today..

    heck of a lot of work..
    I can't sit and relax in my bath..in and out even if I light a candle I last 5 minutes..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, Netflix has lots of great shows, and I also have Britbox, Acorn TV and Amazon Prime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of those Terra! I will have to look them up! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!