Saturday 7 October 2017

Saturday this and that . . .


We started series five from the television show "One Foot in the Grave" last night.  Entitled "The Man Who Blew Away," in this episode the Meldrews get a surprise visit from Mr. Foskett, whom they know only because they stayed in the same guest house 17 years ago. He arrives with two lads whom the Meldrews think are his sons.  The Meldrews end having the lot for dinner and the lads proceed to practically eat them out of house and home! The Meldrews think they are Mr. Foskett's sons, and Mr. Foskett thinks they are the Meldrew's grandsons, but they are really the sons of a neighbour.  They have been playing all sorts of practical jokes on Victor Meldrew in the weeks previous, some really devious things, and their father had sent them down to apologise.  They stayed for dinner.  haha  Terrible table manners and they never stop eating. We thought they were Mr. Foskett's sons also. Mr. Foskett is a man who never stops talking and never lets anyone else get a word in edgewise.  It is all quite funny.  I adore British Humour. 


There is always a twist however in One Foot in the Grave.  Mr. Foskett dies and leaves Victor his "False Teeth" collection, because Victor had shown a keen interest in it.    Do something to be polight eh?  And look where it gets you.  This was so funny.  What kind of people collect false teeth.  haha   I know  . . . . 

My sister.

  

Now this is a funny story.  We moved to Nova Scotia when I was just about 11 and she was just turning 8.  While we were waiting for our furniture to arrive we lived in an apartment which had been created on the upstairs floor of our maternal Grandfather's house in Lawrencetown, Nova Scotia. My grandfather had died the year previously, but his second wife still lived there. She was not a very nice woman, and I am sure she charged my mom and dad an arm and a leg for the priveledge, but that's a whole other story.  There was an old woman across the road who had passed away, named Mrs Puddington.  Her family had put a bunch of her belongings out by the roadside for the rubbish collecters to come and get. You know what kids are like. My sister decided to investigate the treasure horde and came home with two amazing finds . . .  a framed picture of Mrs Puddington's black cat  . . .  and  . . . you guessed it!  Mrs Puddington's false teeth!  My mother was horrified, naturally and made her take the teeth back.  She did, however, allow her to keep the picture of the cat, which hung in my sister's bedroom for a number of years.   One can only hope that she never tried to wear the false teeth before she showed them to my mother.  If she did, she isn't telling. ☺ 

Kids do the darndest things.


There was a lovely full moon hanging in the sky when I got up early this morning. (6 am lately, I have been sleeping in a bit.) I tried to snap a photo of it, but like everything else, I have never managed to figure out the settings on my phone so this is all you get.  It is called the Hunter's Moon and I am really surprised I actually managed to see it at all, because as you can see it was a night with a lot of cloud cover. 


In fact, this was the scene just a few minutes later.  I thought the black cloud looked a bit like a bat, and indeed the whole picture looks a bit like a ghoulish face.  Oh boy . . .  the imagination is a powerful thing . . . 

  

This little fella has taken up residence in the corner of our dining room window.  He is outside of course as no spider would survive inside my house.  My mother taught me to be very afraid of spiders. I respect them from afar, but if one gets into the house, my hero dispenses with them pronto.  He is a catch and release guy, which is fine with me, so long as they aren't in the house.   This one has been there for quite a while now and he is the size of my baby finger nail.  He looks much larger in this picture.  That's still pretty big however and I dread the day he disappears because I know he will then be in my house somewhere.  They say this is going to be a bad year for spiders getting in the house.  I don't know why.  Apparently they come indoors to get warm and to mate.  Horror of all horrors.  I hate spiders.  hate. hate. hate.  There is only one other creature that I hate as much and that is wasps.  Okay two  . . . rats.  Wait  . . .  three . . .  snakes.

Oh heck, almost anything that crawls.  You don't want to see me
during ant season.


I took a picture of my two window crystals while I was at it.  I forgot to get another one when we were last up at the Horseshoe pass.  They make Pollyanna rainbows across our living room on sunny days.  It is my idea to have a whole line of them across my window, but I don't know if I will ever get that many. 

 

For all intents and purposes the blanket is finished and I really love it.  It is so warm and cosy and I love the colours, which aren't showing properly in this photo.  Too early in the day and the lighting is not good. I am really pleased with how it turned out however.  I have some yarn leftover and am wondering what to do with it.  My brain is ticking.


I just looked out my back window and there was a feather blowing in the wind just outside it . . . an angel perhaps? If you dream about feathers blowing in the wind it is supposed to mean travel or the ability to move freely in life. I don't really feel much like travelling these days . . .  I prefer to think that my guardian angel was just letting me know he was on the job . . .


I hope he looks like this.

And with that I will leave you with a thought for the day  . . . 

.° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°Angels descending bring from above,
echoes of mercy, whispers of love.
~Fanny J Crosby  •。★★ 。* 。*。*˚ 


  

In the Kitchen today  . . . .  Chocolate Pudding.  I trusted some old advice to spoon over a thin layer of heavy cream to keep a skin from forming.  Heavenly.

Have a great Saturday.  I am going to the shops to pick up some stuff to do us a Canadian Thanksgiving Dinner on Monday. With just the two of us it won't be much, but we do have much to be thankful for!  Don't forget along the way of your day today  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

and I do too!

 


11 comments:

  1. I hope your guardian angel also smells like cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your blanket Marie..Enjoy Monday so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a nice thought that your angel left a feather floating to let you know he was nearby.. I do believe we each have a guardian angel sent from up above. Such a funny story about the teeth. Kids do the darkest things for sure. I don't suppose your poor sister will ever live that one down. Your blanket is beautiful. I've one sitting in a basket here for over a year now just waiting for me to get round to it. Ha ! Hope you have a super Saturday and that those spiders stay outside where they belong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Monique! We actually had our dinner today. It was good, but not the same as when you have family around. Nevermind, we have much to be thankful for! xoxo

    Thanks Pam! No, we still laugh over that one. Family stories are the best! I would love to see your blanket getting done! Happy weekend! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Your moon photos were kind of creepy . . . but still beautiful. It's hard to get a good moon shot, especially with a phone, I have tried a hundred times!

    I hate spiders, really truly hate them. I have some spiders that live outside of my home that are good spiders, they eat other creepy crawlies. I let them stay there, they die when it gets cold, so I know I'm safe.

    The false teeth story is funny! When my sister and I were little, my mother took us to an older lady who babysat us. I'm not sure why she did this . . . but she used to spit out her false teeth at us! It terrified my little sis, who would run as fast as she could and hide in the bathtub. I would go sit with her until she wasn't scared anymore. Not sure how long we stayed with the lady, hopefully not long.

    Your afghan is gorgeous! I don't think there is anything more cozy than a granny square afghan, it looks really cozy!

    My husband always tells me that his, guardian angel will most likely beat him up when he gets to the other side. I guess he does do a few things that keeps his guardian angel busy... :0)

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hate all creepy crawlers too!
    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. There you are Jan! I was getting worried that something was wrong! (((hugs))) You were missed! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. As alwalys a very entertaining post. I loved your story about your sister and the false teeth. When I was about 6 years old, I was staying with my grandmother. I went into the bathroom and saw her false teeth in a cup of water. It scared me because I didn't know about false teeth at all. What scared me more was seeing my grandmother without her false teeth. I'm sure she LOL on that one.
    I like British TV humor. This show sounds like a fun one.
    I'm with you, I don't like Spiders, rats, mice or snakes. I run from them if I see one.
    Your blanket is lovely. I wish I could learn to make one without a lot of mistakes.
    I liked the feather floating in the sky. Yes, I like that idea that it is your guardian angel doing their job.
    Sending loving thoughts and hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning, Marie. We woke up to a rainy day which are the effects of the current hurricane making it's way up through our area (central KY). We have had absolutely beautiful weather the last couple weeks, and we need the rain so I will not complain in the least. So much to be thankful for. I want to tell you that I enjoy the "fairy dust" falling from my cursor when it moves. :)I often view your blog post in my inbox and so I miss seeing that little feature. I must come to the real thing more often.
    I love reading your ramblings, hearing about what is on your mind. You are a great writer both serious and humorous. I definitely have felt the presence and protection of my guardian angel! and I had to smile at the vision of your guardian angel. Your afghan is beautiful.
    ~Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Barb, what an utterly horrible thing for that old lady to do to you and your sister! She probably thought she was being funny, but oh boy, how terribly frightening for you both! I did have a friend who had false teeth and she used to flick them in and out of her mouth with her tongue unconsciously. I am not even sure if she knew she was doing it. After a while you got used to seeing it, but at first it was a bit off-putting to say the least! Your husband's guardian angel is probably feeling quite blessed because he is getting lots of use, experience and practice! He's probably the best GA around!xoxo

    I wish you lived closer LeAnn! I would teach you how to crochet! I have a funny story about my sister's son. My sister has false teeth because of all the drugs she had to take when she was a child. They wrecked her immunity, anyways, her youngest son tried them on one day and they got stuck in his mouth. You can imagine the horror! xoxo

    Thanks Elaine! I like the fairy sprinkles too. I borrowed them from Monique. She had them and I asked her how to get them! Your comment made my day in a special way. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!