Thursday 14 December 2017

My Favourite Things . . .


 

These are a few of my favourite things, maybe some of them are yours also.  Lets share!   


This is a felt Christmas Candle Mat I made a number of years back. I just love it  It only comes out once a year and every time I see it, its like running onto an old friend. I got the pattern from Cath's Pennies Designs a long time ago. Felt penny rugs and candle mats are two of my most favourite things. 


Surprises that fall out of cards  . . .  like that lovely red coat last year and then this year this sweet toy soldier.  Just look at his lovely little Christmas tree, pompom hat and tiny mittened hands.  A lot of love goes into something as lovely as this.  She doesn't think its very special, but I do, and not the least because of the person who made it with her own two hands . . . 

  

It was a bit too big for my tiny little tree this year so this year this fabulous handmade gingerhouse is living all nestled into the centre of my Christmas wreath and it looks right at home there.  Another of my favourite things  . . . I cherish this, although I know this picture is not showing it off to its best.


3D snowy pop up cottage cards  . . .  delightful!  I wish I could pop down the chimney into that house. It looks so warm and welcoming . . . just like the dear friend who sent it  . . . this will come out every year.  I guarantee.  Its a classic keep forever kind of a card. 

 


 Our Teddy Bear Nativity.  I couldn't find it last year, but thankfully I did this year and so it is sitting on our mantle once more. I love Nativities because they embody the true meaning of Christmas. 


This little olive wood one also holds a place of honor, a gift from some much beloved friends when we were on our Mission.   A reminder to us of people we love, a time that we loved, a service we loved and again, the true meaning of Christmas.  Love came down  . . .  


My little Scandanavian vignette that also comes out at Christmas.  That red moose?  A gift from a friend.  I can't remember where I picked up the Santa and the house tea light holder, I got from an online shop really cheap after Christmas one year.  Placed all together they delight me.  Surprise gifts from friends are the best.


This was in a Christmas Card from another dear friend  Its a stained glass window decal of the Roman Baths in Bath. Its simply beautiful.  I love it.  Every time I look at it, I think of my special friend and how much she means to me.  I did not know you could get such things as stained glass window decals.  How very wonderful!
 


Classic Panettone.  Not the one with chocolate chips or anything else.  The Classic one with fruits only and made in Italy.  Nothing else tastes the same.  I adore this stuff.  Its a delicious once a year treat. 

  

A Miracle on 34th Street.  The original one with Margaret O'Hara, John Payne, Natalie Wood and Edmund Gwenn. It never gets old.  I watch it every year. Along with a host of other classics.  I am a classic film buff, especially when it comes to Christmas films. 


My sister's art.  She is so talented.  She only just started painting over this last year.  She amazes me.  She really does.  I think she is very, very good.   The first three are watercolour works and the last is an acrylic in progress. For someone who just started on this painting journey, I think she is a bundle of talent.


Falling into a well made bed at the end of the day  . . . 

  

Puppy dog cuddles on tap. Any time of the day  . . . 


Central heating.  I love central heating.  We have used more than our fair share of it over this past week.  Seeing the bill won't be a favourite thing, but being warm and toasty is definitely a favourite thing.   We only turn it on first thing in the morning and then in the evenings, but the past week has seen us having it on a little bit sooner in the evenings.  Its been so cold. 

  

Having a clean and tidy fridge for the holidays.  Seriously. I went through the whole thing yesterday and cleaned all the shelves, got rid of anything that looked even remotely out of date, etc. Now it is good to go.  I love a tidy fridge.


The fairies of Cicely Mary Barker. I love fairies anyways, but her fairy illustrations are the best.

And that's it for this week.

A thought to carry with you   . . .

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門 ★

 *.˛.°
Everything you do now
is for your future.
~unknown •。★★ 。* 。 

  

 

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - 2 Nephi 16:1-17:25 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? Why would the Lord send a prophet to a people He knew would reject the message?  
My Thoughts - Agency. The Lord in His mercy gives everyone the opportunity to choose the right. And then holds them to accountability, for the sake of justice, when they will not hearken and follow his ways. He wants to redeem as many as will hearken. This is from the institute manual - "the Lord will graciously continue His mission of salvation through His servants 'so long as time shall last, or the earth shall stand, or there shall be one man upon the face thereof to be saved'." It is His work and His glory. He does what He does in love. 

In 17:23-25 I feel like we are revisiting the vineyard and the Lords chosen people from yesterday's reading. It's further on in time and the vineyard has become overrun with briars and thorns. No one can come for a harvest of grapes but they come with bows and arrows to hunt. The once fertile hill is only good to be trodden down by animals. This says to me that quickly I can be overrun. The good choices I make can keep fruit growing or out of the seed of poor choices spring the weeds that will choke my spirit and bind me. But the amazing news is I can prune, I can cast out the seeds, the seedlings and the fully grown weeds. The Saviour will show me how to clear the garden of my mind, it is made possible through Him. John Bytheway has an ace talk on this called 'weed your brain, grow your testimony'. You can follow the link to You Tube. It's well worth your time to listen to it.

Tomorrow's Reading (Day 56) - 2 Nephi 18:1-22
 Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? 

 
In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Peppermint Petticoat Tails.  Scrumptious!

Have a great Thursday. Don't forget along the way of your day  . . . 


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ 

And I do too! 

 

4 comments:

  1. Our heat is now on 24 hours a day it is well below freezing and it's set to come on at a certain temp. It's not running all the time but will come on if It's below the setting. It'll be that way all winter now. The bills will be much higher until Spring comes. I do love Panettone but haven't gotten one yet. I will before the season is over though. Hope you do keep warm. I have to go out soon and clear snow. We got quite a bit yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you are so grateful for everything always.
    Love your candle mat..
    and Marie I am excited for your sister.I see talent too!
    I have a feeling she will keep it up and it will become a dear frined to her this passion as it has for you and me.Painting/crafts are such quiet gloriousfriends.A Godsend to enjoy..
    Please tell her I am happy for her.
    I love centaral heat too because we would not survive here.Marie..it is 0 F!!!! ZERO..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving your Christmas candle mat Marie!
    Those are nice surprises that M put in the cards!
    Nativity collections are fun!
    I have some Santa's ornaments like that on my big tree.
    Your sister is very talented! It runs in the family!

    Yum...choc and peppermint drizzle on the peppermint petticoat tails. I love saying that! It sure is a mouthful to say but I bet they are sooooo good!

    Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must be in great shape if you can go out and clear your snow Pam! I wish I was! Hope your Friday is a great one! xoxo

    I have lost my Canadian tolerance for cold temps Monique! I guess I have been over here too long! I will pass on to my sister your comments! I think she is very talented too! xoxo

    Thanks Jan! I would love to see your tree! It is a mouthful to say, but they are pretty good! love and hugs, xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!