Monday 18 December 2017

Small and Wonderful Things . . .



"The world is fairly studded and strewn with pennies cast broadside from a generous hand. But who gets excited by a mere penny?...It is dire poverty indeed when a man is so malnourished and fatigued that he won't stoop to pick up a penny. But if you cultivate a healthy poverty and simplicity, so that finding a penny will literally make your day, then, since the world is in fact planted with pennies, you have with your poverty bought a lifetime of days. It is that simple. what you see is what you get." ~Anne Dillard  

A few of the small and wonderful things from the past week which brought untold joy into my life. It's the small things in life which truly mean the most. Simple abundance . . . it's the best.


Spending time with my big guy.  This is my oldest son Anthony.  We didn't get to church yesterday as our drive over slept, so I took advantage of the time to chat with Anthony for a while on the iPad.  Something which we don't do near often enough. This special man has been blessing my life in one way or another for 42 years!  Hard to believe I know.  That I am old enough to have a son that old, lol.  

  

This was his first Christmas.  He was 7 months old. He was such a cutie pie in his Santa sleeper.  That is one of his cousins holding him. You can just see his first two teeth there on the bottom. 


A year later. He is 19 months old and engaged with the wonder of Christmas.  This was at my mom's and dad's.  I think my mom still has that little tabletop tree.  Oh how I love my son.  He is such a good man.  How wonderful it would be to be able to hold him in my arms again as a wee one and to be able to whisper sweetness into his ear as only a mama can do, to feel those small arms around my neck.  Sigh . . . the years pass by far too quickly!  He is a good, good man, with a good, good heart. 


I also got to speak to my middle son this weekend, Doug.  (Here with his oldest boy Jon.)  He had gotten my cookbook and we were able to facetime and spend some time together.  He told me he was proud of me.  That meant a lot to me. It really did.  Plus I got to see three of my grandsons, the three J's.  I love them to bits.  All of them. They have such character. It is hard to believe that Jon is 12 now and will be a teenager in a few months time.  Things change when they become teenagers.  They are not little boys anymore. He was sitting there reading "Diary of a Wimpy Kid," next to Doug while we were talking.  That was a book I sent him for his birthday last year, I believe.  Jakey was busy showing me anything he could.  Pens, etc.  lol.  He makes me smile.  Josh is a bit quieter and shyer.  Jakey though, he makes up for all of his brother's shyness because he is full on. Oh how I would love to spend time with them all.  Maybe one day.  My Doug is such a sweet and gentle man and so kind.

I am so proud of these two boys of mine.


I came across this photo from 5 years ago now. It was Christmas day 2012. We had all the elders over for dinner and the day.  That was Elder Hopper, Elder Rapata, Elder Thomas and Elder Eliason reclining on the others.  What a fun day that was!  Such great guys!  They actually convinced us that they were allowed to watch Jack the Giant Killer.  We let them, and they enjoyed it.  Such a simple thing.  But kind of a no no because of the violence in it.  I think they might have been allowed to watch Winnie the Pooh, lol, not Jack the Giant Killer.  No mind, we had a great day with these cheeky chappies.  They are all married now and living responsible lives.  Elder Hopper is also a dad! 


He was the first one to get married.  It is such fun to see these lovely young men (and women) finish their missions and then go on to live happy fulfilling lives!  We have missed being on our Mission so much. Being on a Mission ourselves gave us a much deeper understanding of what these young people go through for those 18 months to two years they are on their missions.  I thought the world of them before, but I have a much deeper respect for them and love for what they do now, having seen and participated in it personally.  They are really special young people. 

  

This little madame brings me such joy it is immeasureable.  She is supposed to be going to the Dog Groomers today, but alas we are going to have to call and cancel.  We had thought the car would be on the road by now, but it is not. I hope they are not too annoyed with us for having to cancel the last minute.  We did cancel it initially, but then the called us and said the car was okay. Todd went and picked it up and brought it home, so we re-booked the appointment.  Then Saturday night Todd went to do something and the car would once again not start, and of course it would not start again yesterday.  Blah  . . .  so now we have to call the groomers and tell them its once again a no go.  I hate having to do things like that. I know it is their living, their bread and butter.  We will have to give Mitzie a shower ourselves, lol.  She hates that, but what else can we do.  She will have to remain shaggy now until the new year.  I found this photo of her this morning. It is from a few years ago now, but she is still every bit as adorable.  What can I say.  😊 We love her.

   

Someone take it away please  . . .  its just too darned delicious for my own good.  Seriously, I am in love with this torte.  I am glad it is not something I make very often.  Remind me next time to make it when we have people here other than Todd to help me eat it. 


This man I married who embroiders my days with laughter and love.  He is such an amazing man to me.  He is always up for whatever humiliation I force him into, like putting on silly santa hats and letting me take his picture, watching corny old Christmas films, walking blocks to the shops because I am out of butter or whatever.  He makes me laugh.   I needed butter on Saturday and so he went to the shops to get some butter for me. I wanted to bake some cookies. 


He brought back two packs of this.  Lurpak spreadable, which is butter which has been blended with vegetable oil for easy spreading.  We will use it of course  . . .  in time, but it is no good for baking.  LOL He tried!  I keep forgetting that I have to really spell it out when I send him for something.  He invariably always comes back with the wrong goods.  Poor guy. 

On the plus side we are all set for spreadable
butter for the holidays and beyond!

 
 

 I am so grateful to live in a country where you can do your grocery shopping online and have it delivered, and I am also grateful that there were still a few slots empty this week so that I was able to grab one! Whew!  That makes being without a car the week before Christmas that little bit more bearable!  I was telling my mom about it yesterday, this online grocery shopping thing.  She had never heard of it.  Do they do this in North America at all?   Just wondering!  I think you spend far less money because you cannot impulse buy.  You just make a list, go online and then shop.  Now all I have to do is cross my fingers and hope that everything arrives without any substitutions! 

Life is good.

We are blessed beyond measure, our cups
truly do runneth over and over and over. These things I share
are only the tip of a very large iceberg.  

A thought to carry with you  . . . 

° * 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
•。★★ 。* 。
° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | ç”°ç”° |é–€ ★

 *.˛.°
What's the greatest lesson a woman should learn?
That since day one, she's already had everything
she needs within herself. Its the world that convinced
her that she did not. ~Rupi Kaur  •。★★ 。* 。 


  

BOOK OF MORMON CORNER - Today's Reading - 2 Nephi 21:1-22:6 
Question -What have you learnt from the reading today? How does learning of Christ's second coming affect the way you live your life?  
 
My Thoughts - This phrase jumped out at me today . 'he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes'. I straightaway thought of the hymn that says 'in the quiet heart is hidden, sorrow that the eye can't see'. I love this line and I love the attribute of kindness. If you can be one thing  . . .  be kind.
'Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting their own hard battle. As God encourages us to keep on trying, He expects us to allow others the space to do the same. Let us speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults. As we arise each morning, let us determine to respond with love and kindness to whatever might come our way.  
 
 I do love that our saviour can know us by our hearts. It's what we want for ourselves and it's what we can do for others! And I know from these verses that I need to have the attitude of earnest invitation when I speak to others. I need to invite them unto the gospel of Christ as if He were to descend to the earth tomorrow. Learning about the second coming of Jesus Christ renews my hope. It strengthens my faith. It gives me purpose and direction. I can participate in His great work by being open about being a member, sharing my feelings about Him and His gospel with those I come into contact with. Sharing with everyone that God is good. He is full of love. 
 
Tomorrows Reading (Day 60) -  2 Nephi 23:1-22 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? How might we have a foot in Babylon? 
 

In the English Kitchen today  . . .  Panettone Muffins.  Too tasty and quick to make for your own good.

Have a marvelous Monday. Stay safe and be happy.  I hope your week ahead is filled with a multitude of small and wonderful things.  Don't forget! 

═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Óœ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Óœ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════

And I do too! 

8 comments:

  1. As far as I know the only place that delivers groceries here is Amazon..No local stores. Being with a car is inconvenient for sure. Hope your Monday is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you can buy meals..and I think our local grocery store delivers..not sure..locally though..
    Amazon and Walmart yes but not fruits and veggies..and Amazon prices are high..
    I bought a fab quinoa mix at HomeGoods..Pereg,Southwestern..$3.99 here on Amazon its I think $11..plus 9 shipping..well that's not going to happen;)

    I was wondering about your family and if they had received your book..I am sure they are very impressed and proud.
    I am still so very happy for you..

    Hope that car starts..have you named her? Maybe that's what she needs ..a name:) Kidding..I hate when big things stop working..:( I hope she wakes up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope that the car is ready very soon and that it won't cost an arm and a leg....Pity about Mitzie not getting her Xmas wash and brush up ! But you can't help the car not being sorted out..properly.....loved the photos today, you have two lovely boys and Eileen I know you love ALL YOUR CHILDREN it's a pity the others don't see the love you have for them...but that's their loss.......
    I agree that it's great we can have any groceries delivered. I've only had it a couple of times as Peter does most of my shopping ,but I do have the frozen and non frozen things delivered by ICELAND.......glad your book arrived safely in Canada and of course it will be a delight. ..I keep glancing through mine and reading them out to Mary....night night. God Bless. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a variety of ways to get groceries here in New York State. We can order non-perishables online (I have), we can order online groceries from Walmart and go pick them up curbside (I have not done), and our nearest grocery (Wegmans) will home deliver (I have not done). I would consider using any of these and may in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marie~

    I loved the photos of your sons! What good looking sons you have, and grandson!! The baby pictures are so adorable, what a precious keepsake for you. They both have such kind eyes, you can tell they are great guys! I have a daughter who is 42 as well, my oldest...we aren't old enough for that, are we?!

    The missionaries must have just loved you and Todd!! I would never let them watch movies, but I would let them browse on the internet occasionally when they came to my house to e-mail... ;0) Only good things, they were wonderful boys!

    I giggled when I saw Todd in a Santa hat...too cute!! These poor men of ours, they do have to put up with us, and they secretly love it!

    We have online shopping at Walma*t. I have never done it, but my daughter does it all the time. You just order what you want online, tell them what time you will be there to pick up, notify them by text message, then drive to a designated spot and they will put the groceries in your car. I think my local grocery will deliver to me, for an extra fee, but sometimes it would be worth it.

    I hope you get your car problems sorted out...nothing is worse than a car that won't start! Mitzie is so cute...oh, those eyes!! Give her a little hug for me.

    I feel like I am still trying to catch up from all the sadness of the last two weeks, it really has zapped me. The funeral was beautiful, so many people, they were overflowing out of the gymnasium, he was very loved. My daughter-in-law and her sister gave his life sketch and did a great job, she made us laugh one minute and cry the next, it was very nice. Thank goodness for the Gospel, it really does help us get through these very difficult times, knowing that it will be a very short time before we can all give him a hug.

    Your, Book of Mormon Corner really spoke to my heart today. We do need to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, love a little more, smile more often, hug a little tighter, but especially show kindness to everyone we meet. Loved this message.

    And I agree with you...life is good!

    Love you sweet friend!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb





    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Marie, this was such a delightful read. I loved your thoughts about your sons and the endearing photos. What good men they are and it is because they had a wonderful Mother. I feel sad that you can't see them often; but on the blessing of technology when you can at least facetime them.
    It is fun to see how the missionaries go on with their lives and get married and have children. It's amazing to see it all come together.
    I love the face of that dear Mitzie of yours. Our Sammy doesn't like his baths either. In fact when we take him to the groomer he shakes and it makes us feel so sad. We are without him in Hawaii and it is very hard. He is so much in our lives. Thanks heavens we have our daughter taking good care of him.
    I do love the fun photos of your Todd. My husband does the same thing when I send him to the store. I have to be sure he is really listening to what I want.
    We do have on-line grocery shopping but you have to at least go and pick it up. There are a few places that I think deliver too. I agree it does help with impulse buying.
    Loved your Book of Mormon thoughts for the day! Sending love and hugs your way~

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are really blessed to have online grocery shopping Pam! And all of our grocery stores offer that option. It is a real life saver for people with mobility problems and shut ins! xoxo

    Its a great service for those who can't get out and about Monique! And I might add very popular over here! You see the grocery trucks out and about all the day through! My middle son was so impressed with the book. I haven't heard from any of the others yet. I think the oldest son hasn't yet gotten his. I can see where the others have, but no acknowledgement as of yet. I can't make them do the right thing, all i can do is the right thing myself! And I do! You would not want to know the name I have for our car at the moment! Still waiting. We will have it towed back to the garage today and hope it is nothing too expensive to fix! That is what you get when you cannot afford a decent newer car. with the old you get problems every now and then! xoxo

    Thanks Sybil. I don't do a home delivery on groceries often, but when you are in need of it, it is a great blessing! I know for people who work fulltime, it really works out well for them, and you can fix it now so that if you choose certain times you don't have to pay any delivery charges! I really lucked in with this order, no delivery charges and quite close to Christmas! xoxo

    Home delivery is so convenient Laura, especially when you cannot get out and about! xoxo

    No, we are not old enough for that Barb! It is a real shocker! haha. I started young! On Christmas Day they are allowed to watch movies (the missionaries) but only certain types. I think Disney cartoons are allowed, but not even all of those. They are all on Facebook now as well, which is really modern! Very much controlled however. I am so sorry for the sadness of your last few weeks. I have been keeping you and your family in my deepest prayers. Love you. God bless and hope you do have a Merry Christmas despite the sadness. xoxo

    Thanks LeAnn! I hope you and Roger are enjoying Hawaii! I will look forward to the photos! I am sure your Sammy really missed you both! God bless and a very Merry Christmas filled with lots of love and huggles! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think all your kids are proud of you and they keep your cookbook very close by!
    I bet even the stubborn ones love your cookbook!
    They would have been sad if they didn't receive a cookbook too.
    Now your grands will know who you are for sure😀.

    My son and his wife will be here at Christmas. It has been 2 years since I've seen or heard from him. He stays with my sister when he comes to town. It's his loss!

    I couldn't travel to his wedding bc I would have lost my job! I just started working in the office and that woman turned out to be a witch! She knew about my son's wedding but she didn't care. Nobody in that whole shop wanted to work for her! It was posted for almost a month! They came and asked me knowing that morning someone almost hit me head on bc they were half asleep! They were on my side of the road and last minute they swerved back on their side! So I was scared to drive in the dark again! I had to be to work at 5 am. In the office they started at 7 am. That's why I took that job. Big mistake! He knows that but he's still mad and hurt even though he says he isn't. Maybe some day he'll get over it but I'm not going to hold my breath or dwell on it. Lol.

    His sister went and her 3 girls were in the wedding also. His aunt,uncle,cousin and her family went also. So he did have family there. It was almost a week before they came back home. He could of set it up so I could of seen the wedding too. Technology?

    The reason why he's making this trip is bc his cousin might not make it to another Christmas. He has had cancer for 2 years and now it's in his lungs! His Mom now has high blood pressure and not taking very good care of herself bc she thinks about everyone else first!
    So it's going to be an interesting Christmas for sure.

    Big hugs and love to your family!xo

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!