Tuesday 10 April 2018

The Simple Woman's Daybook . . .

 
 
FOR TODAY, April 10, 2018

Outside my window ...
The sun is well up, but it is overcast. Rain is highly likely.  April showers and all that. Our back yard is squelching. You should have seen Todd's boots after he took a walk down it yesterday, 1 inch deep in mud.  It will be a while yet before he can even think about mowing. 
 
I am thinking ...
About this new sugar tax the Government is putting on sugared drinks, and then this plastic deposit they are going to be putting on single use plastic drinks container (22p a container).  I don't drink sugared drinks, but when I checked this morning, the diet drinks were all the same price as the sugared versions.  What's up with that?  I don't think personally it is going to make one whit of difference.  People will just grit their teeth and buy what they have always bought, no matter the cost. I think they are taxing the wrong people.  Surely attacking the source would be a better solution. Then perhaps companies would be inspired to do lower sugar drinks, or no sugar drinks, and provide completely recyclable containers for their drinks. Why over-burden the consumer who is already struggling?

In the kitchen ...
 
 
Spaghetti with Peppers, Olives and Tomatoes.  Delicious.  Vegetarian and actually Vegan as well. 
 
On my "To Cook" list ... 

 
This Shepherd's Pie from The Spruce, looks pretty tasty and like something Todd would really enjoy.  
 
Good to know ...

 
I am creating ...
 

Crochet Again, Granny Bunting.  I can see these in red, white and blue for patriotic occasions! Cute idea! 


I love the colours in this blanket from Gemma Garner on Stay & Roam.  Very feminine. 


Apartment Therapy.  DIY Sewing Kit in a suitcase.  


Tip Nut, retro vintage kitchen embroider pattern.  All free.  


Free Vintae Shabby Papers, from Pretty Things For You.   

I am reading ... 

 

The Visitor by Katherine Stansfield 
He turns and waves, twenty feet or so away... she can't swim as strongly as usual. She can taste blood again. Nicholas bobs where he is, letting her catch up. Her nightdress blooms around her like a sail. She reaches him and he touches her arm, very gently. She wants to grab him, hold him tightly in the water. Would he let her?

Cornwall. 1880. Pearl, Jack and Nicholas play among the fishing boats of Skommow Bay, not understanding the undercurrents beneath their games. As they grow older, the choices they make shape the pattern of their lives.

1936 and everything has changed. The fish have stopped coming and the Pilchard Palace is abandoned. Pearl, exiled in favour of holidaymakers, turns to the memory of her great love, and her greatest loss. She's waiting for her own visitor. Will he come for her? The sea's ghosts are stirring. The past can be more alive than the present…

A cliff top romance in the style of Daphne du Maurier and set in a fictional village based on St Ives, The Visitor is a novel steeped in the coast and people of Cornwall. It shivers and flashes with visions as elusive as the fish at the centre of its story.

Looking Forward to ...
Having one set of the Missionary Elders for tea tomorrow  night. Its been a while.  I am also looking forward to a special broadcast which is being shown at our chapel on Thursday evening from London where President Nelson and Elder Holland are speaking to us here in the British Isles.  Should be good! 
 
Dreaming About ...
 
  
 
Having pretty feet  . . . those days are long gone  . . . 



White on white  . . . 

 
The perfect breakfast tray  . . .  always wanted to have a B&B . . . 
 
  
 
Beneath the eaves . . .  red and white checquered floors, wainscotting  . . .  a room with plenty of light and a view . . . 

 
Flowers and braids  . . . 
 
Something to watch  ... 
 
  
The Mountain of the Lord.  This is the story of the building of the Salt Lake Temple. It took 40 years to build and is a fascinating story.  We watched this last night. We have watched it before.  We really like it. 
 
A quote for the day  ... 
 
 (¯`v´¯)
   `*.¸.*´Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ ¸. •´¸.•~♥♥♥~•. ~ ღϠ₡ღ¸. ✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.
         ( ¸. ❀⁀ ⋱‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ..
Your talent is God's gift to you.
What you do with it, is your gift to God.
~Leo Buscaglia ‿✿“` * .¸.* ✻ღϠ₡ ღ¸.✻´´¯`✻.¸¸.Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ.. 
 
Makes me smile ...

  
 
The Illustrations of Beatrix Potter . . .  I love them . . . 
 
Corners of my kingdom ... 
  
 
The "White" garden at Sissinghurst Castle, in Sissinghurst Kent.  Been there many times to Sissinghurst Castle.  The gardens are phenomenal.  You can spend all day there.
 
And that's my daybook for this week!



  ⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯ Take time to enjoy the small *´¯`.¸¸.☆
  ⋰ ⋮ ⋱ blessings in life.*´¯`.¸¸.☆


✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿✿¸.•*¨`*•..✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.•*¨`*•..¸✿ ✿¸.• ╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥═╬♥╬╬═♥╬╬═♥=╬╬♥
░░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░ ░░░░░░░░░░░░   
 
  
 
BOOK OF MORMON CORNER

Today's Reading - Alma 2:19-38 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? What can we learn from Alma, in the face of much opposition?  

ThoughtsPrayer power. In the act of fighting he was praying. Not for his life to be spared so he could enjoy a long life, but so he could be an instrument in the Lord's hands to save and preserve His people. This reminds me of Matthew 16:25: "For whosoever will save his life shall lose it: and whosoever will lose his life *for my sake* shall find it". Applying it to me, in this spiritual battle for my soul, am I drawing down the powers of heaven? Am I losing "my" life for the sake of My God? Am I allowing myself to go outside my comfort zone, into the growth zone? 
 
Tomorrow's Reading (Day 140) - Alma 3:1-19 
Question - What have you learnt from the reading today? What can we learn, about marking *ourselves*, in these verses? 
 

Have a beautiful day. Don't forget!


═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════ ⊰✿░G░O░D⊰✿⊰L░O░V░E░S⊰✿⊰░Y░O░U░⊰✿
═══════════ ღೋƸ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒღೋ ═══════════
 


And I do too!  
 


10 comments:

  1. Hi, Marie! It's squishy in the garden here too, and everywhere... haha! It'll be a while yet until we can really do anything in the garden. We are itching to get outside and dig in the dirt! I'm with you on the sugar tax. People's habits are what they are, and will continue to indulge in the sugar regardless of tax. Maybe not as often for some, but still... the sugared junk will continue to see. Food and other consumables producers need to rethink their single-use packaging... and fruit & veg in plastic needs to stop. That alone makes up a LOT of plastic here--veg & fruit wrapped in plastic. :( Well, you know how I feel about plastic... LOL! Oh, but your spaghetti looks so good! We're focusing on Vegetarian/Vegan this month, so this is right up our lane. Fruity water is so delightful--especially in summer! We like lemon balm and mint a lot. How sweet is that suitcase sewing kit??!! So many sweet things today. You know, I can see you & Todd being the best B & B hosts! Oh, I wish... we could have come and stayed with you! :))) Sissinghurst--a dream garden that place... *sigh*... We never forget our grand day there together! :))) Happy week, my dear friend... LOVE YOU BOTH!! ((BIG HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Until manufacturers accept their responsability in these things with plastics, etc. no progress will be made Tracy. I don't think punishing the consumer who have no viable alternative is the answer! To tackle any problem you need to begin at the root! We are trying to incorporate more plant based meals in our diet here nowadays as well. Oh, such lovely memories of our time together at Sissinghurst here also! What a lovely day we had together! Love you both also and hope your week shapes up to be a sweet one! Love and hugs, xoxo

      Delete
  2. Love that crochet blanket..the colors are lovely..White gardens:)That breakfast tray:)
    Tout est beau!
    I bet your feet are fine:)! I did buy one of those electric foot sanders 2 yrs ago at Costco..on sale..good product:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have any calluses Monique, but my toes are all mishapen because I have really bad bunions. They are as wide as they are long. I hate them! xoxo

      Delete
  3. My yard is quite wet too. Thankfully no grass is growing yet, but it won't be long now...I did purchase a pair of rubber boots so that I could get out when it warms up a bit. Last spring I found myself mowing around puddles in the yard because the grass was getting so high. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure how that would work with an electric mower Pam, lol. Scared to death he will electrocute himself! Hope you have a wonderful day! xoxo

      Delete
  4. Love everything vintage and that blue tray and oh that braid! Shepards Pie is Maria Nicole's favourite every chance i get it for her!💓💙 i think i'm improving typing with my left hand.👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy your hand is improving Di! ♥ xoxo

      Delete
  5. Hi Marie~

    Love your Daybook!

    We are finally drying up after the terrible rain and hail from this last week-end. It doesn't take long with all the wind we get. Bob went out yesterday and mowed the lawn, at least what was there... ;0)

    I agree with you, taxing sugared drinks and plastic will not make a difference. They put a higher tax on tobacco here, and people still buy it. I was at the checkout the other day and a man bought a pack of cigarettes in front of me...$6.20 for one pack! I was told once that you should have tobacco and alcohol in your food storage, simply for bartering...people will do anything for alcohol and tobacco, so sad.

    So many fun ideas here, but I love the cute suitcase sewing kit and the embroidery patters...so retro!

    I try to pain my toenails, they don't always look great, but I love sandals! My daughter-in-law gives a wonderful pedicure, she is the only one I would ever let touch my feet! She even gives Bob a pedicure and cute his toenails!

    I've always wanted a B&B! Wouldn't it be fun to decorate an old place and create menus?! Let's do it!!

    Beatrix Potter, she really has such beautiful art work, love all of her paintings!

    I have never watched that movie! I love the SLC temple, but don't get there very often. The dedication it took to build it is just unbelievable! The traffic in Salt Lake is atrocious! I truly don't think I could get Bob to drive in it. My kids go there a lot because they have family there, but we don't venture there unless we are forced.

    I love the photo of the, Sissinghurst Castle! I can't even imagine walking through such beautiful gardens, you are so blessed to have had the opportunity to go there, it's so beautiful!

    Have a wonderful day, Marie!! Love you much!

    Hugs and Love,
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I live in a beautiful country Barb. I wish you and Bob could come over here and see it. I was to SLC about 9 years ago now, but thankfully did not have to drive myself. Unfortunately I had forgotten my Temple Recommend at home so I didn't get to go inside. I have always kicked myself over that one! Love you too! xoxo

      Delete

Your comments mean the world to me, and while I may not be able to address each one individually, each one is important to me and each one counts. Thanks so much!